A monk's uniform. This was made from the wool from Herdwick sheep. The cocoa brown fleeces from young sheep were used for lay brothers' habits while the off white fleeces from the older sheep were sheared and woven to make the quire monks' habits. "Our dress must be simple and of small value such as the Rule describes, without furs or linen or woollen shirts" and, "Let us put away from us delicate clothing and let no-one hence - forward make use of fine cloth or anything of the same kind or of better quality whether it be new or old" (Cistercian Statutes).
The manorial headquarters at Hawkshead Hall, a mile north of the village, was built here on the site of the present farmhouse. (National Trust). The remains of the gatehouse are extant.
Head Porter (Guest Master)
This monk who lived in the Gatehouse received people who visited the abbey on business matters. He took them to meet one of the senior officials of the abbey. If necessary, attention would be given to the visitors’ horses. If the visitor was a tradesman, his goods would by safely stored. The sub-porter and other porters looked after the gates.
The herb garden.
Name given first to the farm and then to the sheep. This breed of sheep can exist on meagre food and survive in snowdrifts up to two months. Mutton from Herdwick sheep was on the menu of Queen Elizabeth II's Coronation banquet, 1953.
Holme Cultram Abbey (Abbey Town).
Founded in 1150 by Cistercian monks from Melrose Abbey, Scotland. The abbey church is one of only four Cistercian abbeys to survive the Reformation.
Hospitaler (Guest master)
Bed and board were provided for the wayfarer and to dignitaries, travellers and pilgrims in one of the guesthouses. More distinguished guests were entertained by the abbot in his rooms.
The Abbey House Hotel was designed in 1910 and built in1914 by Sir Edwin Lutyens. The original sandstone mansion was the home and guest house of Commander Craven, Chairman of Vickers Ship Building. Many famous people stayed there including King George V and his eldest son, the Prince of Wales later to become Edward VIII, who was king for a short time; he was uncrowned and abdicated in 1936. The then Duke and Duchess of York also stayed at Commander Craven's home. They came to Barrow to launch RMS Strathmore, a passenger liner, and to free Walney Bridge from toll, renaming it Jubilee Bridge. This was in 1935 before their coronation in 1937.
In 1951 the building was taken over by Barrow Borough Council and was primarily used as a care home for the elderly. It was closed in 1983 and fell into disrepair.The present owners (Kilroe family) bought the premises in 1986 and converted the main building into the Abbey House Hotel as it is known today.
Visitors to Furness Abbey may like to round off their day by morning coffee or lunch at the hotel which they can reach by car by leaving the ruins, turning right and then drive (under the arch) turning left into Abbey Road. They will only have to travel a short distance to the hotel - well sign posted. Alternatively they can walk through the car park and turn to the right and cross the road, where stone steps and a board advertising Abbey House Hotel can be seen. The steps lead to a garden path which takes you to the hotel. Well worth a visit.
To visit the website, click here http://www.abbeyhousehotel.com/
Hawkshead Hall (High Furness)